[thechat] installing Ubuntu on an old Sony Vaio; it never finishes

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Mon Jan 24 07:38:35 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Luther, Ron <Ron.Luther at hp.com> wrote:

> If I was starting fresh now I think I'd try putting copying a clean image
> onto a USB drive and attempt installing from that.

was gonna try that, but they said it should be at least 2GB and mine's only
one; not sure it'll boot from USB, blah blah blah.

short version: (well, shortish)

tried again and it magically installed.

ran into login loop issue, which magically went away after two hours of
research but no actual work done

finally sorted the video drivers so 1024 res is available now

now, if I can get the wireless working, we're set. old TrendNet pcmcia card;
Ubuntu can see the wide open unsecured wireless network (surprise; the
laptop is leaning against the box) but won't connect. still researching
which of the eleventeen fixes is the real fix.

thanks, gang.

joel