[thechat] Ubuntu Help?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Feb 24 14:56:24 CST 2011

Hi Gang,

My Ubuntu workstation is acting up.  I have a WD 500Gb external drive hooked up via USB.  Over the past year or two I have copied almost 100Gb of files onto the drive and it has worked fine.

TODAY my stupid system seems to think the drive is 'read only'!  It will not let me create any more folders on the drive or copy any files or folders onto the drive.

I'm a bit lost as to why it stopped working.  (Was there some kind of recent security update that removed the ability to write to certain kinds of external drives?)

Hoping for a clue,
RonL.