[thechat] Be Nice to the Client

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Mar 10 13:41:54 CST 2011

Fred Jones recounted one of his dealings with the intelligence-challenged ...

> Please correct this asap.

>>I take a minute to check out the issue. Well, yes, STUPID, this SSL is
>>invalid because it expired in, oh, October.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the smile!

I'm afraid I wasn't so charitable this morning.  I had the chairman of our data warehouse security organization email me to tell me that they had talked to IT and that it simply wasn't possible to grant read-access on a table by table basis.  [1]

I sent her (and her IT contact) an email back containing the proper syntax and attached a screen shot of the appropriate page of the manual.

Fookin' Idjits!
RonL.

[1] Seriously?  Like granting select privileges isn't covered in "DBA 101"?  And why do we have accountants in charge of technical committees anyway?  Damn I hate my job.