[thechat] triple booting an iBook?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Mar 23 10:18:51 CDT 2011

On 3/23/11 7:23 AM, Joel D Canfield wrote:
> I've heard success stories of adding Windows to a Mac. When I replace my
> pre-Intel iBook with a new model I'll be doing that.
>
> Anyone ever added a Linux distro, making a triple-boot laptop?

I personally don't get the multiple-boot thing at all -- why would
you want to have to shut everything you're currently doing down each
time you want/need to switch environments?

OTOH, there are multiple virtualization possibilities that let you
use them all simultaneously: Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.

On my Macbook Pro I have both VMWare ($) and VirtualBox (free) and
multiple VMs configured for different uses: Windows, various Linux
distros (Ubuntu, OEL, CentOS).

Besides using other environments simultaneously, the big advantage
of using virtualization is that you can snapshot a VM, install some
experimentalOH CRAP IT DID WHAT?!DAMN ITpackage and -- didn't like
the result? Revert to the snapshot, and it's all good. Like git for
your OS.

And of course you can test different distros easily.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
webtuitive design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder