[thechat] google+

Jack Timmons codeacula at codeacula.com
Sat Jul 2 14:14:12 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Jeremy Weiss <eccentric.one at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I assume most of you have played with Google+ by now. What do you
> think? Should Facebook be worried?
>
> -jeremy

I've recently discovered the formula for Google's social networking
ideas based on Plus:

SocialNetwork googlize(SocialNetwork, SocialNetwork, Gimmick = null)

I can proof it based on the following

SocialNetwork Plus = googlize(Facebook, Twitter, Circles)
SocialNetwork Buzz = googlize(Faceook, Twitter)
SocialNetwork Wave = googlize() -- Throws an error

I don't care for the hanging out portion. Doing a hangout with one
other person who didn't have video streaming caused both of us to
crash a few times. Add on top of that my pessimistic ability to see
abuse (Come hang out with me, I'm 19 and love to play!), and I think
it's another useless idea.

Google's UI standards don't lend itself to social networking either,
IMO. And the fact that it's not Facebook -might- convince web savvy
people to move to it, but I would think it would be a "grass is
greener" case. The circle idea isn't bad. I appreciate the thought
that I can spam all my contact's email with an update if they aren't
part of Google Plus.

I appreciate the fact, thus far, the Plus hasn't asked me to give up
any more details about myself to 'help friends find me.' Although I'm
starting to blame the page load times on GMail on Plus, since it
wasn't until the new bar stuff that GMail started responding slowly
for me. Could just be me being grumpy.

Facebook's biggest worry should be Facebook, right now.

--
Jack Timmons
@Codeacula