[Theforum] isaac's proposal

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Oct 22 17:38:01 CDT 2001

>here's one:
>A future for evolt.org
>http://members.evolt.org/isaac/evolt/future.html

I don't know how to articulate exactly, but the lack of any sort of
unified steering group is disconcerting to me.  I am accustomed to
working in situations where there is a single group or rotating
members (BoD or exec committee) -- a core group at the helm, everyone
in certain roles.

And meetings.

It seems odd to establish a BOD and at the same time make them only
marginally relevant.

>The consensus is that we have a lean BoD restricted to handling
>legal and financial stuff, but not one that slows down community
>progress.

Financial stuff and "community progress" are linked.  And "community
progress" can be defined many ways.  Bigger not always better.  The
bigger they come the bigger they fall.  Or something like that.

The looseness of this proposal is troublesome.  For example:
<q>
>I'd suggest that we work on establishing a voting membership.
</q>

How?  Who decides?  How do things get done?  How do we piggyback?

What is wrong with the current structure?  Why couldn't we work
within the bylaws already accepted?

Could it be that a "real" nonprofit cannot operate this way?  That we
need to have physical proximity of some sort?

Erika