[Theforum] Framing the House?

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Thu Oct 25 12:13:46 CDT 2001

Why the decision to be non-profit? I'm not suggesting charging for
membership, but a self-sustaining system wouldn't be dependant on charity.
Is NFP status inherent in Evolt's modus operandi? If we went NFP now, and
decided to sell T-shirts or books or web hosting later, how painful is the
conversion?

>From an accounting perspective (haven't been there a while, so I may be
wrong) bookkeeping for a non-profit org is trickier than for a profit-making
enterprise. Just another consideration.

As for opening up the 'steering' committee, I think it's an excellent chance
for folks who love Evolt to give something back. I also think that those who
created it, nurtured it, and grew with it would be in a special position to
perceive whose contributions would take it the right direction instead of
putting a fox in the henhouse.

spinhead