[Theforum] Re: A vote, (was: purpose of theforum)

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Sun Oct 28 23:23:10 CST 2001

On 2001.10.28 17:36, Warden, Matt wrote:

> Thirdly, if #1 happens, then that *IS* evolt's purpose. If our community
> shifts their ideas, evolt has shifted its ideas. "evolt's purpose" does
> not equal "admin's purpose" or even "the original purpose evolt's founding
> members". That's my opinion, anyways.

Wow.  That smarts.  So much for philosophy, sticking to your morals,
standing for what you believe in.

If we decide to sell banner ads... so what?

When we started evolt.org back in '98 we did it for the simple fact that we
were getting sick and tired of commercial enterprises telling us when to
click for more content and watch this banner ad while we feed you full of
bull-shit.  We started it because dan got a cease and desist letter from a
major corporation saying 'All you posts are belong to us.' We started it
because we thought we could do something to change things in the way people
got access to web development information.

So if we decide to sell banner ads it's just a shift in evolt.org's purpose?
Fuck that Matt.  That's selling evolt.org's soul.  That's stabbing your
mother in the back.  I don't care if it was used as an illustration.  You're
using a very dangerous topics to discuss the progression of a community that
belongs to everyone *including* me.  I own it too.

> Who decides?

That's a great question.  Why not let one or two people who know what's best
for evolt.org do it?  Why not?  Tell me.

-d

____
damclean 403.708.6215
dave at members.evolt.org