confession re: vitriol (was Re: [Theforum] Re: A vote, (was: purpose of theforum))

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Mon Oct 29 14:39:01 CST 2001

HOO hah (quoting my son, who you really should meet.)

The following comments have been on my mind all weekend. Rudy used my word,
and Ron's and mantruc's comments kind of helped coalesce the thought:

I confess. I'm the poster who wrote (on the Webmonkey list, 8-9 months ago)
that Webmonkeys thinking of joining evolt.org would find excellent info from
great people, but that conversations on evolt were 'quicker to descend into
vitriol' than on Webmonkey.

What really happend was that, during my first exposure to evolt, a
Particular Poster (still with us) seemed, over a period of a few weeks, to
be more interested in showing how smart they were than in actually helping
someone. The surprised comments of some evolt admins made me stop and think,
and I came back trying to be less thin-skinned, willing to give it some more
time. I've realized since then that it was a brief eruption, and even that
PP seems more conciliatory of late.

So I guess what I'm saying is
1) yeah, there's some emotion on theforum right now, but I don't doubt that
it's well-intentioned passion, and NOT arrogance or anything negative
2) I was wrong - evolt is a nice community and I'm really glad to be here.

evolt is giving birth to something new. I attended all four of my children's
births, and there was some yelling (and ooh; just a bit of vitriol) there,
too. Birth isn't easy. Growing pains are pains, but they're growth,
nonetheless.

spinhead