[Theforum] Re: A vote, (was: purpose of theforum)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Mon Oct 29 14:41:10 CST 2001

Hi Rudy,

Yeah, my impression is that things are usually pretty communal and
supportive. Once in a while folks get excitable and/or forget that there
is often a wider audience for their comments than they might be
expecting.   [La vie!]    :-)

I dunno ... I guess (if I gave it much thought at all) I figured that
entry into the evolt admin priesthood was on an "invitation only" basis
and that folks who made enough significant contributions to thelist
would get a "...you seem pretty sharp on [something], wanna lend a hand
with a project..." email from Dan or Jeff or Aardie or someone.

Be that as it may ... I've seen two successful models for volunteer
organizations: (a) you could make everything a lot more formal than it
seems to be today and have members vote for committee members (or
chairpersons who hand select their committees) for various endeavors, or
(b) you could post a "here's what we need help with this week" list and
leave it open for anyone who wants to - to try to pitch in with ideas
and/or code and help.

While I personally might have more of an anal organizational bias
towards (a), I'm feeling that a model more like (b) may be "truer" to
evolt and might be worth a trial run.

Spoken Upingly [  ;-)  ],

RonL.