[Theforum] culture-differences (was: Roll Call - Madhu)

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Tue Oct 30 16:09:56 CST 2001

> >(I think, is Ikea down there? Shit.
> >dern 'merican references)
>
> *cough*swedish*cough*

I know Ikea is Swedish (a little irony there, shoulda thrown in a [sic]
to make sure, eh?)

> I think it's fine to use your own cultural references
> (wouldn't it be bland if we didn't? And even then, we'd
> probably use American ones), as long as we don't assume
> that everyone gets them.

I think the subtlety is that by using them we're assuming that they'll
be understood. At least that's the jist I'm getting from the other
emails.

But I think we've been doin allright

I mean, us 'mericans have a hard time with intercountry references. Try
Bob's Big Boy on someone, see how many different versions you get...

cheers (hee!)
sgd