[Theforum] community news idea

Isaac Forman isaac at triplezero.com.au
Tue Oct 30 22:09:47 CST 2001

Hi,

I'm looking for some discussion on a topic (more details below).

First of all though; some semblance of a disclaimer: the results of this
discussion on theforum will be considered as a recommendation for final
implementation. They certainly won't be ignored in any way. As you know,
we're mid-transition with regard to evolt.org decision-making, and the
"final say" will rest with the established administrative group until a
potential transfer is achieved. It's horrible to say it in that way, but I
don't want to misrepresent anything or anyone who is yet to confirm their
decision. If you'd rather not participate further until you know that you
can have a vote in final decisions, I'd understand completely if you
refrained from putting forth your ideas.

OK, here's my idea.

I spotted Burhan Khalid's post to thelist today (and I'm cc'ing him on this
in case he's not on theforum list) which included this snippet:

---
On another personal note. I recently participated in the AITP Region 3
Conference Programming Contest. I entered for the Website Design and C++
competitions.
<BIG CHEEZY GRIN AND SHAMELESS SELF PLUG>
I won!
</BIG CHEEZY GRIN AND SHAMELESS SELF PLUG>
---

and I thought that it'd be great to have a weekly round-up of the
achievements of community members. Things like:

 - winning an award
 - being mentioned on the news
 - getting married (especially to another evolter ;))
 - finding a job (especially through evolt.org!)
 - getting a site to validate
 - finishing an epic project
 - winning your first tender
 - getting your MEO site online
 - completing tertiary study
 - having a baby
 - getting a pet
 - etc

These could be contributed by the www.evolt.org email form or private email
to whoever (I'm happy to take care of it). Deadline for each week would
roughly be Thursday evening for selection to be posted at the end of the
week.

Initially, they'd probably be posted out to thelist(s) as is done with the
Tip Harvester (mailed by Dean Mah) currently, but perhaps developed further
to be posted online in a potential category (Community News) on the
evolt.org site. (That category would also handle beervolt notifications and
discussions, codefests, MEO changes, general downtime, or whatever else.)

So far, two issues have been raised. From Matt Warden:

"sounds cool, but what are you gonna do when i send you an email saying that
my uncle joe gave me the "Designer of the Day" award."

And from Bob Davis:

"My worry was the exact opposite, actually. I was worried that things like
"I got an article published on nationally known site X" and "I won a
$nnn,nnn contract that will be publicized world wide" would make a lot of
folks reluctant to publicize their (perceived)
relatively insignificant successes."

Michele Foster has suggested that the former is accounted for with a
disclaimer saying that the editor reserves the right to withhold any post. I
think that's the way to go (it's what we do with articles too).

I think that Bob's raised issue can be handled with positive encouragement
of all potential news.

Either way, I think it's worth trying and seeing what happens.

So, do you have any suggestions or thoughts on this idea? Can you think of
anything in your last month (or upcoming weeks) that would be cool to share?

All contributions welcome.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au