[Theforum] Rambling, was: Barriers -- let's talkphilosophically

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Wed Oct 31 15:03:39 CST 2001

Well ... I'd certainly be willing to give it a try.

I was thinking you might need more help with the analysis end ... I'm
guessing you're going to have a number of [what we in the trade called
{Ha!}] 'open-ended' questions: "What do you like best about evolt?"
"What's the #1 thing we could do to improve evolt?" ... things that
require an 'essay' style response.  These are generally a bugger to
analyze and kind of rely on the opinion of the analyst dividing them up
into categories and providing a 'sound bite' to capture the essence of
the responses.

I wasn't expecting any "touchy" questions --- but there are techniques
for handling them.  I believe Masters & Johnson used to use one where
they asked a respondant to roll a die [but not show them what the die
said] ... the respondant could lie if the die came up even - but had to
tell the truth if it came up odd ... then they could ask questions about
marital infidelity and sexual preferences without putting the individual
respondant on the 'hot seat' --- but still have the information to
analyze the results statistically.  It was kind of a neat technique!

<wording? warning - non-pc ahead>
Ha! I used to have some wonderful "training material" for a dozen
different ways to ask 'difficult' questions ...

casual: "Soooo ... you know many people beat their wives ... How long
has it been since you quit beating yours?"

timidly: "You wouldn't have stopped beating your wife by any chance,
would you?"

and a bunch more like that ...

RonL.
(Ooops - late for my 3pm!)