[Theforum] survey rough draft

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Fri Nov 2 00:58:07 CST 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, .jeff wrote:
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Daniel J. Cody
> >
> > > i mentioned to amanda at some stage the option of
> > > running evolt.org survey week with a section per day.
> >
> > why? lets get it done and give people the option to
> > finish it in 10 minutes. nothing would turn me off
> > more than a "Thanks for finishing part 1, come back
> > next week to continue". If i'm going to do it, i'm
> > going to do it all at once. Its not a soap-opera :)
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> i think you missed part of what isaac was saying.
>
>   "we could have a master survey page
>    (www.evolt.org/survey2001 or similar)
>    that links to each sub-section, and
>    then whore a section per day. if anyone
>    wanted to do them all in one hit, they
>    can. otherwise, they can do a bit at a
>    time."

ok. but what if a person  - you or me - finishd it in 10 minutes? would
you want to be bugged with it each day for the next 6 days? lets just give
weekly reminders about it for a couple/4 weeks. technically, how do you
plan to save state if a person comes back after 2 days? are we going to
set a cookie marking where they left off? are we going to accept what they
gave till that point, what about the rest? if they leave in the middle of
page X with 4 of 5 questions filled in, how do we track that? do they have
to fill in the first 4 questions again? :)

lots of questions i know, lets not make this too complicated though - for
the people taking the time to help evolt out or for us.

> of not bewildering users with a huge survey all at once (unless they're
> ready for that, in which case they can).

its not all that huge, 30 questions - 40 'clicks' at most?

compare that to getting subscription to PCWeek or soemthing ;)