[Theforum] New feature suggestions

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Nov 10 16:01:47 CST 2001

Madhu Menon wrote on 10/11/01 10:55 pm

>>As a member-by-member optin? Sure.
>
>Simply an announcement list, really. Don't need to tie it into the
>membership database.

Yeah, that's fine. "Not a simple announcement to thelist" was
what I was thinking of.

>That way, even non-members can simply enter their
>email address and get notified when a new article is posted.

And of course a nice place to put a footer promoting
the benefits of membership.

>And we all know that making people enter a long list of details just to
>sign up for a newsletter/announcement list is not usable at all ;)

Of course. But all we require for membership is name &
email, which it only 1 bit of data extra (name) than for a simple
list signup.

>>We did try that with AnswerThis a few months back - it didn't
>>get the response we'd hoped for, so we pulled it.
>
>I remember it vaguely. Let me investigate this a bit and see what was the
>stumbling block. Your opinion is welcome too, of course. Is it still there
>on the site?

No - it got pulled because we got no response.

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland