[Theforum] (Fwd) Re: [Admin] multiple languages on WEO

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 15:51:31 CST 2001

oops... gotta pay closer attention to reply lines...
From:           	"aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>

i'm not rudy, but i'll pipe up...

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> are you suggesting that as an interim measure we allow adding of
> non-english articles amongst the english ones?

yes... until we can get something in place, there's no reason *not*
accept articles in other languages save for two points (there may be
more):

- the character set (iso-8859-1) or language (currently "en-us")
might
need to be changed else it won't display...

- the article sucks or otherwise wouldn't be published even in
english...

> perhaps denoted by:
>
> "This is the Article Title (German)"

super short-term?  i don't think we need to, it will be pretty clear
upon reading it...

> And then a brief disclaimer at the top of the article that tells
> less-than-aware members the language being used and then links to
> maybe a FAQ piece that details plans to encourage authors to write
> for non-english speakers?

perhaps we can do that in the super-short term, at the end even...

> if so, i'm +1 on moving forward with that. are we likely to run into
> issues with character sets? what languages can we currently handle?
> javier?

yes, we will for anything outside of iso-8859-1...

> what can't we handle? (greek, russian, chinese, japanese, etc?)

see above...

also, not all users will be able to display the correct characters,
but those who speak the language will probably be all set...