[Theforum] (Fwd) Re: [Admin] multiple languages on WEO

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Nov 12 16:01:52 CST 2001

aardvark wrote on 12/11/01 9:51 pm

>> if so, i'm +1 on moving forward with that. are we likely to run into
>> issues with character sets? what languages can we currently handle?
>> javier?
>
>yes, we will for anything outside of iso-8859-1...
>
>> what can't we handle? (greek, russian, chinese, japanese, etc?)
>
>see above...

Greek & Russian are fairly easy - they're at least ISO-8859.
Icelandic too.

Now Chinese/Japanese/other double-byte Unicode languages
- *that's* where life gets interesting.

Although I don't know what CF's support is (nor PHP -
the only language I know for certain is recent versions of
Perl which has Unicode support)

(who did a Greek site earlier this year -
http://www.johnniewalker.gr)

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland