[Theforum] Inviting other people

javier velasco (mantruc) lists at mantruc.com
Mon Nov 19 13:35:06 CST 2001

Marlene Bruce wrote:

> How about "Ask questions, get answers: Join thelist." It's simple,
> direct, and won't take up much space.

nice one!

however i agree with Dan that the site sould not be used for promoting
any special part of evolt.org. i do think that the top navigation ( join
| lists | directory | browsers | etc) is visually too subtle. i think
that redisigning such menu would help a lot. i know it's done in text
only in order to add new features along the way. i think giving that menu
some more visual weight could be an effective method for letting people
who wisit w.e.o. that it's only the "tip of the iceberg"

> I know there's the argument (Amanda just happened to make it) that
> the list will get icky with lots of newbies or too many subscribers,
> but we have set the tone on thelist and it is enforced by not only
> admins, but current subscribers too. That method of 'tone management'
> has been very successful for us, and I see no reason that it won't
> continue to work.

it works: member moderation has proven to be effective

> I believe we should take a fresh look at how the information is
> organized within the interface, and how to improve the experience for
> our users. I'm not
> at all suggesting we completely redesign things again, but rather
> look at the elements and see if there isn't a better way to organize
> all that data. Having so many options in the side-bar and below the
> fold isn't the best solution at this point.

+1

--
Javier Velasco M.      -               nurun Chile
Information Architect  -       http://www.nurun.cl