[Theforum] RE: Member stats

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Nov 19 14:15:23 CST 2001

At 01:38 AM 11/20/2001, .jeff opined:
>we're getting somewhere, but you're still not answering my question.  let me
>rephrase it.  why would you prefer to keep your opinions anonymous?

Since I've clearly lost my mind today (and have so far typed more than 1500
words to theforum), let me present *my* opinion.

There are time I want my opinion known (and that's most of the time). I
just *feel* (and this is not a "logical" argument) that when people look at
the average rating a guy has given, they may start to form unwarranted
impressions of him. If my average rating was 2.1 and several other people
had a 4+ average, some people might think that I'm no good at rating
articles, and that may affect their perception of me and my skills. And
vice-versa too. I'm not very comfortable with that, especially since these
average ratings don't give one the whole picture. Maybe I'm weird. Maybe I
rate only extremely good articles. Or really bad articles. Maybe I feel
that average articles aren't worth rating (a lot of people actually behave
in favour of one extreme, trust me). Either way, it's just... I don't want
people to form opinions about me by my ratings. I'd prefer that my articles
be the medium for this.

No, I'm not speaking for Dan, but you already knew that. :)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net