[Theforum] Re: Adding theForum to l.e.o.

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Nov 24 18:50:50 CST 2001

Daniel J. Cody wrote on 24/11/01 7:55 pm

>at any rate, i think if we ever did get a 'real' voting system in place,
>it would only augment the +/- 1 system we have now, not change the way we
>vote, maybe thats what you're saying and i totally agree.

In terms of how that's technically achieved, of course.

But the voting questions that matter are:

1) What are the issues that should be subject to voting? (which
    I think is what you were getting at in the long stuff I snipped -
    I'm sure there would be debate over even the examples you chose)

2) Who will have the right to vote on those issues (and how do people
    gain that right in a way that's open and fair)?

3) On what basis are votes carried out (process, not enabling
    technology)? - notice period, how abstensions are weighed,
    qualifying majority etc

And those are hard questions.

>and if people don't see an issue brought up that they'd like to weigh in
>on - within reason - that is the fault of the individual, not the group

Yes, of course.

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland