[Theforum] who gets to edit articles

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Thu Nov 29 15:51:20 CST 2001

From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>

| On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Elfur Logadottir wrote:
| > ok, fair point. but how should we make those additions? just add
everyone?
| > but who are 'everyone' ?
| > - everyone on theforum list?
| > - everyone that shows interest?
| > - everyone who?
|
| i'd say #2 slightly modified.
|
| everyone that shows interest and can be vouched for by one person who is
| trusted. if Joe shows up tomorrow says hi and introduces himself he won't
| be able to approve articles.
|
| if, after introducing himself, he starts volunteering for other
| things(propoganda, helping on the survey, whatever) we start trusting
| him. after some period of time, we get to know him and he us. after some
| period of time, he is considered trustworthy enough to have the
priviledge
| of editing articles and approving email. *even though* we didnt know him
| day 1 he earned trust and should be rewarded in that way if he wants.

ok, again, sounds good and is basically how i would see it.

| > - the admin group has process for it, but no one else has. so if you
reject
| > the admin group's process, offer another one.
|
| the 'admin' groups process was to say, "hey, what do we think about this
| girl?" if enough votes came in or no resistance was offered, that girl
was
| thrust into admin.

true.

| my main thing here is it shouldn't be admin that
| decides this anymore. it should be this group as a whole.

ah, but this group as a whole is open to everyone ... and that's where we
differ. I think it should be those that are already 'trusted' as you
mention above. basically i think we should add those already 'trusted' to
the admin group for day to day administration (most persons on this list
are trusted, but while i don't know exactly who is on this list i can't say
all).

i wan't theforum to keep on being open to everyone, to be the venue to step
up and start interfering and start showing that you can be trusted and then
when you are trusted you are added to that list of trusted people.

that way you first start viewing your opinion by subscribing to theforum
and then you get added responsibilty by being approved to admin if you want
to be an admin.

| i'm not saying the process is bad, just who's implementing the process.

so do you want theforum in general, as it is at any given time, to be the
one to decide who is trusted? or am i misunderstanding something?

thanks
elfur
(i really like the direction this discussion is taking ...)