[Theforum] Re: [thesite] +1/-1 Author Info Blocks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 01:16:23 CST 2001

> From: "Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca>
>
> | > (1)  Author's block of info as displayed .. photo if one exists,
> plus | > number of articles written average rating and total number of
> ratings. | >  This block of info is styled using the sidebar class. |
> | as displayed: tentative +1... | | - do not like US-centric date
> format (prefer dd mmm yy) | - still concerned about CSS, but there's
> nothing anyone can do | about that one... |
>
> Care to explain ?  What's wrong with the CSS?  The file itself, the
> classes used to style the block of info?

see previous posts for more detail, but the colors and styles we
use can prove to be problematic -- only because that's not how
those styles were intended to be used... can it be bad?  yes... will
it?  dunno...

> Is tentative = +1 or not ?
>
> Or are you a +1 but only if the other things you mention above get
> implemented?

no, it's a +1, with reservations... i wanted to note those for the
record is all...

> | > (2)  Author's bio and other articles .. located at the end of the
> | > article, before the rating bar.  Again, this info is styled using
> the | > sidebar class of the (at this time) existing stylesheet.  This
> | | as-is: -1 | | i *do* want a bio on my articles, but the split
> between top and | bottom and the hard transition to the bio still
> makes it look like an | afterthough... | | sorry, had to add reasons,
> but can't do redesigns for you...
>
> Well, why didn't you provide comments on the four samples I did?

i know i gave a lot of feedback on the designs presented... you can
check the archives for details on that, i'm just trying to get to bed
now and providing URLs doesn't change my opinion...

i was also under the impression that we'd do this as one or the
other (author block *or* bio), but i believe that's my fault for not
keeping up to speed (what with everything else i have IRL as of
late)...

> Anyway, seems Madhu's in agreement with you on this, so perhaps we'll
> get some more samples and comments can be provided at that time.
>
> -1 vote recorded in the meantime.

good...