[Theforum] +1/-1 Author Info Blocks

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Dec 10 07:46:02 CST 2001

'Allo. I've been out of my office (er, home) all day, so I'm just catching
up on mail - lots of it.

So, let's start answering questions.

At 11:08 AM 12/10/2001, Michele Foster typed these words:
>Madhu,
>
>I'm not sure how to rate your vote on this one.

Let me answer your questions in reverse order :)

>Do we need to break this down and vote on each individual piece of
>information??

Well, yes. While there's no need to break it into each element of it (e.g.,
colour of border), you really need to ask FOUR questions.

1) Are you OK with having the author info block at the top

(my answer: +1)

2) Are you OK with having the author bio at the bottom?

(my answer: +1)

3) Do you like the design and/or implementation of the author info block at
the top?

(my answer: -1)

4) Do you like the design and/or implementation of the author bio at the
bottom?

(my answer: -1)

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that Adrian is going to vote exactly
the same.

Now, the first two questions are the most important. If this group votes -1
(majority) to the questions 1 and 2, then the votes to the next two are
irrelevant. That is, if most of us agree that there needs to be an author
photo/info at the top and there needs to be an author bio at the bottom,
THEN we can debate the stylistic details. If most of us agree that we don't
need them in the first place, the design discussion is moot.

Was I too confusing? ;)

>One line you say I approve it in concept .. but then you provide two
>paragraphs worth of changes that you would like to make to it.

Well, yeah, I'm cranky sometimes ;)

>A lot of your original changes/suggestions were taken into consideration
>from comments on thesite.

I had voted against a mass of numbers aka author stats, on thesite
discussion too.

>So, what is it you are saying?  I don't understand how you can be a "+1" if
>you don't like what's there.

See answer to first question. I think we need to break up the vote into
*those* questions. And I'll ask for a +1/-1 on changing the vote questions
to the ones I've suggested please.

>Do we need to break this down and vote on each individual piece of
>information??

<grin>

Regards,

Madhu
PS: I saved the file to my PC and was going to make the changes I wanted
and put 'em up, but my mother's had an accident, so I was away from home
today. I'm sorry for barking.

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net