[Theforum] Re: Sub-categories

rudy937 rudy937 at rogers.com
Sat Dec 15 22:07:18 CST 2001

> I see no reason to not have any sub-cats we're envisioning
> as top level cats. Definitely easier to handle from the code standpoint
> and fewer clicks for the user.

thanks chris

check this out --

<cite>
The better question here though is what purpose do categories serve? How do
people use them? It's easy to get caught up in technical fetishism and
categorize things because you can. I think most people use them as a basic
search facility where the search terms are hard coded. So maybe abolishing
categories and making a better free-format search tool is the way to go? At
the very least, the categories should be based on like the top five searches
people have made on your site, rather than arbitrary categories you assigned
when you made the entry. Although, what if the author is writing a number of
entries that are part of a serial or something? Then hard-coding the
category is important. At any rate, I think if I get a better handle on how
people use categories the design challenges might solve themselves.
</cite>
    -- http://www.gnumatt.org/archives/2001_12_01_index.xml#7902309

that i should stumble on this today is total serendipity, i swear -- i was
just cruisin' the web and the sentence that brought me to this page was
"You'd think they never learned how to do a SQL join with the number of
times they will perform a SQL query in one template" further down in a
lovely rant about some KPMG baboons, er, consultants

any time i land on a blog page, i always scroll up and check the latest
entry, and, well, there ya go, categories

neat, eh?

rudy