[Theforum] [survey] donations

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Dec 18 13:22:25 CST 2001

On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 06:49  pm, Martin wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 06:23  pm, Erika Meyer wrote:
>
>> I for one would be very hesitant about donating cash to an org as
>> loose as Evolt:
>> - we're not 501c3  (are we?)
>> - we don't follow our own bylaws
>
> If we tried to register as 501c3 we'd get laughed out.
>
> Here's the deal: the government allows us a certain amount
> of public money (via tax rebates), and in return demands
> guarantees that what the public money is going to is above
> board.
>
> These generally are:
> * A constitution the government accepts as being charitable
> * Financial transparency, which means accounts, audit and
>    clarity of what the org owns.
> * Clear demonstration that the above are being followed.

Forgot one more: individuals who are accountable for the
actions of the organisation (to members and to the government)
and personally liable for the funds, particularly in cases of
misuse.

In UK law, there *are* ways to limit the liability unless those
individuals are guilty of fraud - dunno about the US

> Cheers
> Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,