[Theforum] Re: Sub-categories

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Wed Dec 19 08:58:45 CST 2001

I once told the president of the last company I was at that I was his
"information alchemist" ... it seemed quite appropriate to the position.

Somebody had a sig where they claimed to be a "digital strongman" ...
'watch me bend these dangerous "1"s into harmless "0"s ...' -- I always
kinda liked that one.

Levity aside - I think Rudy's point may be that titles alone do not
convey competence or ability.  I think we've all run into "Oracle DBA"s
(for example) that couldn't spell "SQL" if you spotted them the "S" and
half the "Q"!  The various certifications available are no panacea
either.  I think it comes down to a case-by-case basis ... folks with
the same titles are not interchangeable pieces-parts.

... and therein lies a portion of the rub for subcategories --- our
skills are at different levels - and our appraisal of our skills may be
at different levels too!

{.Jeff's "elementary" JS or CF might well be 'intermediate' or
'advanced' for some of us ... I'm not sure how long it would take me to
wade through an article he considered 'advanced' on one of those topics
(for example).}

RonL.
(Who took his desire to decimate his entire IM support team with him to
the bowling alley last night ... and had a career night!)