[Theforum] Re: Getting in the monthly reca

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 9 09:57:54 CST 2002

At 10:43 AM -0500 1/9/02, rudy wrote:

>    a generic evolt userid serves no purpose that cannot be served by
>    an actual person, and in many cases is undesirable in comparison
>
>helps?

I hear  you on not being able to remember, and with the searching stuff.

Anyway, I think in this instance it might not be a bad thing to have
a generic, non-personal id that stuff gets published under. We could
cite the user who sends stuff as the author of that particular bit of
the article (which goes to the idea of using comments, but adds the
searchability we currently lack).

Kind of like this:

"Hey, just wanted to let y'all know that some of us got together for
a beervolt in Bulawayo where much Lion and biltong was consumed."
		-- Joe User

"On 01/16/02, I got a new job with WickedCoolCompany Inc. that I'm
very excited about. I hope to be here a long time, singing the
praises of good IA and structural markup"
		-- Jain User

Etc., etc..

The real content would have many authors, but the author listed in
the top would be a "community" user. It would be easy to see a list
of all of the collaborative work that was done by clicking on the
username for the "author" (you'd get a list of all of the recaps,
etc. that were done by many people).

It would also eliminate Matt's objection to the "you have more than
s/he has just because you managed the input of other's work and
posted it" phenomenon.

For stuff that had no real author, we could have an "overheard"
section that had no attribution (stuff culled from irc, thechat, etc.
that got posted). All of the stuff that is too short to merit a
paragraph like, "Sue turned 25 this month" kind of stuff.

bob
--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org