[Theforum] policy for #evolt

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 10 17:21:27 CST 2002

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 02:30  pm, Marlene Bruce wrote:

> However, the problem that recently arose with #evolt was the booting of
> someone for lurking. About halfway down the page on
> http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/altircfaq.html, it states, "Channel
> operators are kings/queens of their channel. This means they can kick
> you out of their channel for no reason. If you don't like this, you can
> start your own channel and become a channel operator there."
>
> In my opinion, this shouldn't apply to #evolt. To me, it goes against
> the spirit that we're trying to foster through evolt. For example, on
> any of the evolt lists a person can lurk indefinitely without being
> unsubscribed. If we want to be consistent, a person should be able to
> lurk on #evolt indefinitely without being booted off. So IMO this
> particular rule shouldn't be included in the #evolt policy (at least
> not as written and intended above).

You're right, Marlene - the above very much reads as though
it's written only with channels owned by individuals in mind,
not where channels are owned by organisations.

I think there's a balance - the status accorded to Channel
Operators is owned by evolt (ie evolt is the king/queen), but
is loaned to the individuals with the permissions to operate
evolt's policy on evolt's behalf.

This is kind of like how the Police have their authority in the UK:
it's the queen's authority (the law) which police officers
enact by virtue of their role.

(That's what warrant badges are about - they show the
legitimacy of the authority)

The police officers don't have their own authority, which is
why they can't act in the same way off duty (they're private
citizens then).

This is exactly how Admin signoff of articles works btw,
and responses to contact us. It's on behalf of evolt.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,