[Theforum] policy for #evolt

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Jan 11 10:24:43 CST 2002

On Friday, January 11, 2002, at 12:49  am, Garrett Coakley wrote:

> One of the reason you might need to ban someone is because they're
> flooding the channel (they send huge amount of text to the channel, its
> basically a DOS attack), that person would need to be kicked and banned
> right away. The channel would be unusable while a lone admin went in
> search of someone to ratify his decision.

Is there not a mute command?

As I said, there's probably valid reasons for short-term, rapid
reactions.

But as part of the policy, escalation to anything longer-term
is a much bigger deal.

And while there should be some license for ops to use their
initiative to proportionately deal with situations, it needs fair
limits (ie practises based based on agreed principles),
and of course, those with evolt's authority should always
be answerable to evolt for their use of it.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,