[Theforum] quick thought on our search boxes

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Sat Jan 12 18:36:59 CST 2002

John wrote:

>Hope its OK for me to get invlolved in this...

Absolutely! That's what everyone's here for!

>Many people will consider this obvious, but since you asked:
>
>Check boxes would let me (user) search articles & comments, but not users.
>Or any other combination. Limiting the user to only one search at a time
>seems less friendly than giving them the choice of which source they want
>their results from.

I understand your point, but I'm trying to solve a problem on a very
low level, so we can get it a better-than-now solution sooner.

Right now we have three search boxes on evolt.org. I'm just trying to
combine them, ask the user which *one* area they want with radio
buttons (just like they'd have to pick only one area now), type in
their keywords, and go.

The best method for expanding capability can be hammered out later.

I think we could get this done if easy enough. Nobody has explained
why using radio buttons makes things significantly more difficult
(unless it was in a way I can't understand).

Marlene