[Theforum] Re: voting

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Jan 29 19:07:20 CST 2002

On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, at 12:30  am, Warden, Matt wrote:

> isaac wrote:
>> what minimum duration or number of votes would you propose (if any)?
>
> how about continuing how we've successfully done things for 3 years?

...and I thought you had a problem with votes never getting resolved..?
If so, you're right, and this is the way to resolve it

> and, isaac, we had a MUCH smaller group up until not too long ago. 1
> person missing a vote out of 25 is MUCH more consequencial than 1 person
> missing a vote out of 60-some members of theforum.

I repeat from before, no-one's talking about 1 person missing a vote
because they're on intermittent holiday. That happens to everyone a
few times a year.

Weekends are when *many* people have time away, maybe in the
big room with the blue ceiling. And many people have other things to
do (like day jobs...) which block off major chunks of time.

It doesn't support any kind of principles of openness.

Plus, having a clear, fair system will prevent anyone from crying
'foul' over over-quick votes, and indeed from people manipulating
votes with timescales.

Otherwise we could have a situation where someone calls a vote
starting 8am GMT that evolt is formed as an NFP in the UK, and
all the servers are moved here... vote closes at 10am GMT. Whaddya
mean you're still in bed?

> i think the compromise is:
>
> if you dont want to follow theforum closely, that's fine, as long as you
> understand that you're going to miss things. that includes: discussions,
> offtopic posts, occasional arguments, and, yes... votes.

Yes, and that's great high level stuff. But how does that work in
such a way as it minimises how evolt systematically excludes
people?

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,