[Theforum] Re: voting

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Wed Jan 30 12:15:53 CST 2002

> You can count on me to speak my opinions! :-)  I may not
> always play fair, but life isn't really fair either is it.  I
> don't mind being the designated 'Dickhead' either, but I
> don't like the warez scene, (*maybe that disqualifies me?).

Uh... I wouldn't think so...

> I am not sure that anyone has ever encouraged me to be
> *more* expressive, lol.  I do like the Evolt lists and glean
> some useful information off of them from time to time.  I
> have however seen a fair number of good lists dry up and blow
> away as the management tried to structure *everything* and
> people would soon lose interest in participating. It just
> became too cumbersome in an instant grats type community.  I
> would hate to see that happen to a good organization such as Evolt.

The instant grats requires that a handful of people maintain consistent
control. We've now opened up evolt even wider with no "official"
leadership though there are leaders.

I think some of us think of structure and all this process nonsense as a
way for evolt to continue in perpetuity if that's what it want to do.
How do you continue forever if the community is reliant upon the sweat
of the brow of only a few?

I mean this as serious thoughts. I'm not trying to start a fight. It's
the way I see of setting up a system that holds itself up. I know that
*people* resist structure but do organizations?

- ae