[Theforum] process & voting

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Wed Jan 30 21:00:49 CST 2002

[Theforum] process & voting
isaac theforum at lists.evolt.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:16:44 +1030
----

> You meant this in jest right ?

No. But I didn't mean it in a negative sense.

> Seriously .. that's a pile of hog-wash .. and I really hope you
> did mean it in jest .. hence why the :p was at the end.

No, not hog-wash.

You seriously think Rudy would let my db schema past without corrections?
----

That's what peer review is all about .. you try .. Rudy perfects .. everyone
learns in the process.

----
isaac wrote:
And Jeff is a perfectionist. It's in his nature to "fix" my code by redoing
it properly (and probably from scratch). Seriously, I've learnt more CF from
him than anyone, but the problem is that I only begin to catch up to his
style of doing things when he's 18 months past using that method. :)

I have the utmost respect for both Jeff and Rudy in doing what they know
very well.
----

Yeah, me too.  Doesn't mean they are the only ones that can do stuff
though... Personally, I'd much prefer to tackle a problem and have it peer
reviewed by them (and others too of course)... but that's the way I learn
best.

----
isaac wrote:
That said, I could build the app well enough to handle what we need, but
they have to promise not to laugh at it. ;)
----

hehehe .. yeah .. they'll promise (oops, I'm promising on their behalf) ..
seriously though, don't worry about others critiquing your work .. I really
think its the best thing about evolt.  I'd be thrilled to have Matt or
Scotty review an ASP project I did .. (if I did one recently of course ;)

----
isaac wrote:
Actually, if we went with mysql/cf, someone would have to do the mysql
setup, because while I could squeeze in time to build the app, I can't
really spare time right now to pick up the mysql intricacies.
software) to talk nice to Oracle, we may want to use list membership as a
trigger for voting privs.  Realistically and technically, I don't know how
much of an issue that is now or into the future.

My understanding is that mysql uses standard sql, so, generally, you should
be fine.  Rudy or Matt, anything one needs to be especially aware of with
mysql?

----
> Anyway, please clarify your position .. and get working on it will ya ;)
isaac wrote:
Busy now. Will try to plan something this evening.
----

Kewl, sounds good.  Not sure when Amanda will have the initial spec document
done .. can probably work on the DB scheme at the same time.

Mich
(goes back to washing dishes)