[Theforum] Re: VotingRegs

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Feb 3 18:37:49 CST 2002

by the way, when did the subject change from 'VotingReqs' to 'VotingRegs'
:)

isaac wrote:
>Wouldn't be hard to flag a vote with:
>
> - view results: group 1 (all of theforum)
> - vote: group 2 (subset of registered voters from theforum)
>
>Or:
>
> - view results: group 3 (elite group of 3)
> - vote: group 4 (superset of group 3)
>

>Am I missing something?

so, you mean the results query would be something like this:

select count(*), optionid
from vote
where priv >= X

and every vote would be inserted with a priv level?

otherwise, you're talking about putting a flag about voting results on the
poll (or question) table, which i don't like, but may be the only way to
do this.

>Not that we'd need to do that, but I'd imagine that the application would
>be build with that in place.

Well, if we dont' need to to it, I'd rather not. Becuase we'd end up
putting a field describing votes on the poll or question table, when it
should be on the vote table.

Does that matter? I don't know. But I've been influenced by Rudy, Master
Datamodler and have a natural sickness when we put fields in the wrong
place. It would require an extra join on the poll table. I can't really
think of all the ramifications right now (hopped up on caffine -- working
on a *huge* paper on the evolution of psychology and my brain is
fried). Maybe Rudy will jump in here if he can pull himself away from the
Super Bowl (dammit, I'm missing THAT too).

So, if we don't need it (it wasn't on the requirements docs, but those
probably need revised to take into consideration polls <prod
target="amanda" /> :) ), let's not do it.

should we be moving this to thesite?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com