[Theforum] Re: [offlist] flash accessibility/usability

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Feb 28 10:52:24 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, aardvark wrote:
> > my confusion stems from why emails like that are going to the list
> > that handles articles and contact through the email form.
>
> because it was the best way to hit all the list moderators at once...

ok, and i'm not trying to be a jerk here(which i'm sure you know, but
others may not see it), but who else is a list moderator? tangent: is a
list moderator anyone who sends an email offlist to trim posts/whatever?

3 of the 4 people i think of that 'run' thelist(me, matt, michele, dean)
aren't on admin at lists

and how does the whole 'self moderating' thing play into this?

i only ask these questions to clear up the confusion.

here's a good example of confusion: i got an email from someone on thelist
who thought it was unfair that martin contacted the person offlist as the
'moderator'. after all, in that case, how could martin be objective in
dealing with the situation?

as it turns out, they'd at some point in their
time on thelist gotten an email from martin asking them to trim or
something similar, signed with an 'on behalf of evolt.org', and thought
that he was the person in charge of thelist. thats just an example from
today that i happened to find out about. i'm sure there are other people
who may be equally confused.

*so* to get to my original prob, which i think is being takn out of
proportion(i'm cranky this early), there are lots of new people on thelist
lately, and if they see this as a place where (more or less) anyone can
moderate, there's no respect for the rules. so, when i send out an email
to everyone basically saying, "Hey calm down, trim your posts, read the
archives" as i've done in the past when thelist gets noisy, people look at
me and say, "wtf is this guy, and why should i listen?" add in the fact
that i've gotten shit for signing my emails in a funny way so that people
know someone is 'thelist admin', and well... thats a different story.

anyways, don't take the above as more than it is or anything

> archives regularly...  in the future, i will cc you, although that
> seems like a silly and unnecessary step (might have to do with my
> bitterness about recent client hoops)....

i don't wanna make you jump through hoops man, you know how much i hate
doing it too..

> > i'm not on that list. i rarely edit articles and log into the
> > admin.evolt.org/email section once a day to see if can answer things
> > questions people have submitted through the contact form.
>
> you no longer visit the admin archives, huh?

not unless someone fwd's me a URL or post that needs attention, no. like i
said, i don't edit much, and all the email is documented on a.e.o

> > fwiw, i'm not disputing adrians email wording or anything.
>
> that's good...  right?

right, just like joel said.