[Theforum] RE: [everywhere] Article Alert - Micropayments Pushed in Norway

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 20:25:44 CST 2002

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
>
> Here's an early stage of my redesign concept:
>
> http://members.evolt.org/isaac/evolt/redesign3.gif

rudy hates three columns...  i don't....

you may recall from an offlist discussion that i feel very strongly that,
regardless of how you feel as the designer of the current site, the black tab
has become as much of our identity as our logo now...

i think throwing it away might be a bit cavalier right now...

dammit, where's the sample i sent you?  i can't find it over here...

> So far I haven't touched the org-wide promos
> (browsers/tips/lists/etc), or the 2 other promo spots (blank areas
> above the Featured article) -- those will, most of the time, be used
> to feature thelist (ask a question, etc), or WEO (submit an article).
> At times, we would use it to promote things like FEO launch, future
> surveys, beervolts, and stuff like that.

dig...

> Anyway, to the point -- you'll notice the news/jobs areas over on the
> right hand side. Each is more or less a title, the date, and the name
> of the contributor. No ratings. I've forgotten to put it in there, but
> we'd also add something like "(4/12)" (i.e., 12 comments total, 4
> new).

dig... although that will need a little work... we can't cut features/elements
from the pages either, at least not without good reason...

> This should accomplish 2 things:
>
>  (1) Keeps news posts out of the article stream.
>  (2) Encourages people to submit news (they now only have to submit a
> headline, link, and a sentence or two of explanation, instead of
> feeling obliged to write 3-4 paragraphs).

i vastly prefer the non-article approach to news... i think metafilter has a good
thing with that (not that this would mimic it, but if it works, let's figure out why
and how for us)...