[Theforum] the black tab

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 20:45:39 CST 2002

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
>
> > you may recall from an offlist discussion that i feel very strongly
> > that, regardless of how you feel as the designer of the current
> > site, the black tab has become as much of our identity as our logo
> > now...
>
> Personally, I think it's holding us out of 2001/2002. We have the
> cubes and we have the black tab. Which gets flaunted in bars
> world-wide as the evolt.org gangsign? Which has been made into a
> christmas decoration? (Etc).

i know the difference between a logo and a design element...  however, since
the design element has held the logo for a while now, some people see them
as one... you and i don't, but then again, we know better, don't we?

and just because you think it looks so 2000 doesn't mean everyone else
does... again, i'm just asking you to consider what it means to users *other*
than you... as a designer, you know that when you see old designs, you
always see flaws or other things you want to change... we shouldn't do that
here without good reason...

> Die tab die!

er...

> I think we need a universal header for evolt.org sites, but I don't
> think that need include the black tab.

it doesn't *need* to, but let's not automatically discount it...

> > dammit, where's the sample i sent you?  i can't find it over here...
>
> http://members.evolt.org/isaac/evolt/evolt_v3.gif

eww... i can see why you didn't reply...

for those who's eyes aren't bleeding, that was just a concept of trying to bring
other elements of the sites into play... it is *not* a proposed design, just an
idea of how we might approach things...

> > dig... although that will need a little work... we can't cut
> > features/elements
> > from the pages either, at least not without good reason...
>
> No, just for News, and then only for the space saving. The extra text
> would remain on all articles. And all of the "hot discussion" type
> sidebar fun would still be included, of course.

of course...