[Theforum] [OT] %40 in email question

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Fri Apr 5 16:32:02 CST 2002

I had changed all the email addresses on my site so that the code
displayed %40 in the code instead of the @ sign. Most of these are
graphics. In the one exception, the text is written like this: info @
gawow . com with spaces between words.

Apparently, in the past couple weeks, my site got rather deeply spidered
and now I get spam directed straight to me. The most disappointing thing
of all is that amanda at gawow.com is being used.

I recently tried to set up procmail to filter and according to my ISP, I
ended up blocking almost everything sent to me, spam or not. I don't
know why that would be but I'm not expert on procmail so, whatever.

Anyway, I learned the %40 trick through you guys -- you use it for email
addresses on the site. Do you think spammers have figured out how to
parse that?

I'm setting up a new site for a client and I'm going to have them use
graphics for email addresses and forms everywhere else. It really breaks
my heart that this seems the only way to combat spammers.

Also, anyone know how "safe" it is to have the correct email address in
a hidden form field that can be viewed in the source?

- amanda