[Theforum] Hosting

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Apr 6 02:46:31 CST 2002

Ron wrote:

> rudy wrote:
> > i wish we could believe the "free hosting" deal
> >
> > my fear is that it will run swimmingly for a while, and then one fine
> day
> > we will be told "well, we have to start charging now, you know how it
> > is..." and we'll be too flummoxed to move quickly enough, because the
> jump
> > from there to another host (or back to our own machines) will be very
> > painful indeed...
>
> and a valid concern.  things are doing well on our servers.  even
> co-loc could
> be detrimental if hardware fails and we can't get someone at the co-loc
> to fix
> it.

I think both of those concerns are all around getting a sensible SLA
in place *before* we start, which covers hw maintenance, notice periods
of change of contract etc.

Although we may not see it, we face those issues rn btw - we *are*
(through
Dan's donation) in a 'we have to charge, you know how it is' situation.

If hw goes down when Dan's on holiday, what happens? (Not a dig,
I honestly don't know whether Stark has cover which includes our stuff).

If Dan gets fired, or hit by a bus, what happens? Contingency planning
is A Good Thing.

These are the questions *anyone* asks when hosting gets changed from
"the server's next to my desk" to hosting it elsewhere.

> > but let's see what they say
>
> agreed, always gotta hear what's it about

Of course. Which is why I went back to him and tried to scare him
off a bit. He's still keen.

If this is going to happen, it's going to take time and negotiation,
and it'll be because it's beneficial to evolt. And yes, it'll have to be
beneficial to them too, but as long as that's not detrimental to us,
what's the problem? And that's part of the negotiation...

The cynical would say that we advertise PayPal, but it's beneficial
to us overall.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,