[Theforum] Fwd: Hosting

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Mon Apr 15 20:00:15 CDT 2002

any reply from this guy yet? i couldn't get much from my friend at
savis, they have some sort of NDA with the company, unsuprisingly.

i poked arounda  bit more about these people, and their 'dedicated'
servers aren't really dedicated, but partitioned OS images all running
on the same machines. VMware sells software like this(which is very
cool) that allows you to partition off hundreds of OS's on the same
piece of hardware. so if they have a 4x xeon machine with 4Gb of RAM,
they partition off 1Ghz of CPU time and 1Gb RAM to each virtual OS.

tangent: i'm trying to vmware to donate this software to us for an
advanced type meo server that people could learn linux/freebsd or any
other free OS on. how cool would your very own djc.evolt.org or
joeuser.evolt.org server be?

its really cool technology, but they're not very up front about it for
whatever reason. martin, can you contact him again saying that we're
interested and get some sort of basic SLA in place(you don't own our
content, etc..) and see what exactly they want in return? if you can get
everything hammered out by the time i get back from vacation, i'll put
the IE section of the browser archive on their server for a bit, and
we'll see how it works. if they screw up, i'll just have b.e.o point
back to itself.

cool?

.djc.