teo access .. was [Theforum] What do you want to do ? Faster, evolt, kill kill!

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Thu Apr 18 20:49:59 CDT 2002

[Theforum] What do you want to do ? Faster, evolt, kill kill!
.jeff theforum at lists.evolt.org
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:56:46 -0700

<snipped 99%>

we're a group of web developers working on a site for other web developers.
we're not storing national secrets on our servers.  we're not storing
people's credit card numbers.  we're not working with the nsa.  there's a
time and a place for security at the expense of people being able to get
their job done, do it efficiently, and enjoy doing it.  this is not that
place.

finally, i wouldn't expect that anybody that's asking to help out with the
cms is going to need the sort of access I'm requesting.  keep in mind that
I'm asking for some of these things as a sort of project lead since i have
the most experience with the code for the cms.

.jeff
----

For the record .. for what it's worth ;)

I support Jeff is his request to be given ssh access to teo and the teo DB.
I agree that there's a hindrance to him performing all he can, when he can,
without having the necessary tools/access to do his job.  I consider him to
be the de facto "leader" of thesite .. in its capacity as teo/weo production
goes.

He's proven that he knows what he's doing, he's quick to react to major
crisis, he devotes much of his free time to adding new features, he's
getting really good at updating the changelog (even if *I* can't understand
what he wrote ;), he's been conscientious in following agreed upon new
ideas, such as the ratings bar, author block and bio, all of which were
implemented *after* a vote had been taken, recorded and the final results
acted upon (no, not the ratings bar yet, but that's lack of time, not
because he hasn't wanted too).

There are changes that Jeff and I discussed to do with the data design,
adding the new category table, creating the category groups, assigning the
existing categories to the new groups, THEN recoding all of the site to look
at the new category groups, thus eliminating the need for each and every
query to look at each unique category.  (Ha!!  how's that for a run on
sentence??)  Anyway, Jeff can't begin to code anything until the DB work
gets done .. which it still hasn't been done despite being discussed and
agreed upon late January/earl February.  (I am very sorry if anyone takes
offence .. I know we all lead busy lives .. and this isn't meant to berate
anyone else for not getting something done.)

Anyway .. in my opinion, I think Jeff should have access as requested... to
all the tools necessary for him to develop efficiently (teo/weo), the CMS.

Michele