[Theforum] Summary of the entire discussion

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 03:18:02 CDT 2002

> > An admin structure shall be established with four separate functions
> > each of which is to be made up four groups of people.
>
>This is the thing which I think needs to be fleshed out next - how many
>groups do we need? What are their purposes? Etc.. I've got a list of groups
>I've thought of here: http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/TaskDivision.

I think we should limit the number of groups and the number of members of
one group to 7 at max. More groups will create confusion and lots of
overlap. The CMS group, for instance, needs to use a server side language,
CF or PHP. Then why make it a separate group? For that matter, why both PHP
and CF? Besides, are there enough volunteers to fill all these groups?

Within one group more than 7 members aren't necessary (and I think the
optimum is 4 or 5). With 8, 10 or 12 members discussion will slow down
noticeably, while no new viewpoints will be offered; at least, that's my
experience.

So I think your proposal has too many groups and I'm more in favour of the
five Monkey groups shown at
http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/rethink/RestructureDiagram

Come to think of it, doesn't Interaction Design require to give users at
most 7 choices at one time? This might be another application of the same
principle.

ppk