[Theforum] Re: root access

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Mon Apr 29 10:07:24 CDT 2002

It seems to me that the Root access issue has to be a part of the total
picture here or the bickering is just going to restart and become a bigger
problem than it has been in the past.  I just seems that there is too much
weight on this issue right now to not address it with the entire re-org.

The way to check that single person with the god admin access is to make
them pre-sign the document releasing that access.  If they violate the
directives from the establishment, the steering committee uses that
pre-signed agreement.  If the steering committee abuses the use of the
pre-signed contract, the members vote them out.

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: A. Erickson
Subject: RE: [Theforum] Re: root access

What I do think we need is a backup system involved. If *only* the IT
director has the keys to root then what happens if he quits or dies or
becomes comatose? There has to be a better way to manage the keys to our
system at various levels and I think that's what we are "gagging for" to
use a Mirianism.

So, let's concentrate on what our checks and balances are going to be as
well as given those that need deeper (if not root) access, that access
so that we can move forward more easily and so that the whole system
doesn't rely on the benevolence of a few.

- amanda