[Theforum] browser archive

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 22:40:48 CDT 2002

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
>
> I'm just interested to know why you'd prefer to spend your money
> ensuring that BEO has a premium pipe, when it could be an option to
> shift BEO to a lesser pipe/hosting option, and spend the difference on
> something like:
>
>  - promo packs to get people volunteering on behalf of evolt.org to do
> grassroots web education
>
>  - any promotions that could increase the perception of web developers
> within the general community
>
>  - providing other opportunities for learning/testing on MEO (other
>  app server, other db options, etc that aren't OSS).

these are no small points...

if beo got moved elsewhere, that would free up monies we'd collect
from donations for a lot of other things...

beo sits in something of a vacuum anyway, right?  it's not connected
to the other sites in any way, and it doesn't currently rely on
membership info...

since i brought that behemoth to evolt.org, i do feel somewhat
responsible for its bandwidth use...

so how about i research moving it?

we've already said it doesn't hurt to research anything and then come
back here with suggestions... i know the traffic it eats per month...
 and it'll put me closer to the box so 520MB uploads don't require me
babysitting an FTP client on a friday night...

obviously it would still be part of the evolt.org collection of
sites, bowing to the whim of the group...
--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself