[Theforum] browser archive

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 30 23:12:52 CDT 2002

isaac wrote:

> OK, so it's a flat cost of USD$x/month right?
>
> How much data can we do per month on that before incurring excess data
> costs?
>
> (Just used to the AU scenario where some hosts allow 100Mb/month before
> charging 20c/Mb extra.)

yes, its a flat cost.. its best to not think of it in terms of hosting
like most people are used to though. a t1 is 1.54Mps - when that ceiling
is reached, it's reached. a t1 has the ability to transfer up to ~5Gb of
data an hour, or close to a four terabytes a month(in a perfect world).

so if we transfered 2Tb a month, we're paying the same as if we
transfered 5Gb/month or 100Mb/month. of course, remember thats continous
usage over a 24 hour period, which never happens. this is also how most
hosting providers make their money btw..
here's a good example of usage:
http://members.evolt.org/djc/stdio/index.cfm/daddy/show/mommy/105 (blue
is downloads, green is incoming data) and illustrates the point of why
you want a t1 even though you'd never ever transfer a terabyte of data
in a month