[Theforum] Evoltspotting

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon May 6 03:57:02 CDT 2002

On Sunday, May 5, 2002, at 10:44  pm, William Anderson wrote:

> [...]

Yep.

>> b) ...plus the traffic from people who take the link from that source
>>     and link to it themselves
>> (so you can work out the total benefit of a link from blogger).
>
> I thought this might destroy the use of the link once it's memepooled
> around
> the web (i.e. it would no longer be linked to from blogger itself, but
> from
> blogs, emails and so on around the net), but I suppose it means an
> article
> could be tracked while it's being relinked and passed around.

Yep - that's the point I was making. If the Blogger link gets passed
around
and used by bloggers, then you can track how much traffic you get as a
*total end result* of getting the link on Blogger.

You can also find some interesting stuff. For a while, the top result on
Google for "Content Management System" was this article:
http://www.evolt.org/article/rating/20/5127/
which told us something quite interesting. Because the only place that
link type (/rating/) appears is in the 'Highest Rated' sidebar, it
suggests
that links *within* a site feed into Google's algorithm (every page on
the
site has the sidebar).

holy shit btw - the number 1 result is now
http://www.evolt.org/article/Your_clients_need_a_Content_Management_System/
20/5127/

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,