[Theforum] Re: Responsible public list practices

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 16:48:13 CDT 2002

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
> >
> > from today:
> > "i don't really feel like responding to the rest of this atm, sorry.
> > i am working on new features if i could ever drop out of my email
> > client and back into my editor." that is dismissive... you may not
> > think so, but imagine how seb felt when his frustration was answered
> > with "i don't ... feel like responding..."
>
> lets at least finish the sentance and stop with the selective quoting
> bullshit. i finished that off with 'atm' or 'at the moment'. if seb
> has a problem with me not immediatly addressing everything, i think
> he'd let me know.

the "atm" is in the original quote (re-read what i posted, above), and
my sub-quote later on is how it read when frustrated (where i
replaced missing words with ellipses, a standard and accepted
quoting practice)...  no misquoting, you said it verbatim...

> when you originally said i was being dismissive, i thought you were
> referering to a past incident, and thats what i responded to.

nope...

> you'll need better bait than that.

bait?  nah, if i were baiting you, i'd accuse you of piping all list
posts through win2k to clean 'em...

> would you mind sending me the messages you got? I'd just like to get a
> feel for what other people are saying, and maybe address some of their
> concerns.

yes, i would mind...

people sent me these *because* they felt dismissed in the past,
and they know i'll raise their concerns -- the fact that i echo them is
a bonus... if anything, that says something about the perceptions
of these folks, doesn't it?

i know one of them has contacted you because i sent him your
address, and he posted on thelist as well...

their concerns, in the aggregate, were in my last few posts...
individual concerns also included children reading the post
subjects, overzealous filters banning thelist@ from corporate mail
systems, and a public scolding...

> i'm also wondering why thechat list is getting cc'd by you? shouldn't
> they be able to address that on their own? or are you looking for a
> crowd? just wondering.

seb sent it to all the lists, so i replied to all the list in the hopes of
keeping all the chatter on this to a minimum across the list as
people saw it was being addressed (in one form or another)...

should i be looking for a crowd?  do they know something i don't?

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself