[Theforum] Re: nfp

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun May 12 13:36:09 CDT 2002

On Sunday, May 12, 2002, at 06:15  pm, Warden, Matt wrote:

> Lachlan wrote:
>> I think it'd be great if we could get the work on turning evolt into an
>> official nfp could be done concurrently with the organisation
>> restructuring.
>
> Our problem before was that we didn't have our shit together. In
> hindsight, there was really no way we were going to be approved. I
> really
> think the restructuring has to happen before moving to an official NFP,
> if
> we (have) decide(d) to go that route.

+1 - we need to be an effective, smooth running *organisation* first,
so (for example) if a question arises about use of funds, we can
respond *in minutes* with "we did *this* with it, which is what we
said we were going to do". Or if someone asks "How do I get to
do *this*", then we can answer very quickly and accurately,
even if the answer is "go ask those people, who can give you a
definitive answer".

However, the work we did last time isn't wasted - it's a good head-start
on the stuff we need to do when we get to that point. And the consitution
which seemed to be resulting would actually have made a reasonable
constitution for organisations like ours. *We* weren't ready for it then,
but we're closer now.

> It might not be ideal, but let's get the paypal address pointing to
> *something* (which isn't going to be a non-existant evolt.org checking
> account).

Yes. Marlene - anything you can do? If the amount coming through
stays at the level Dan suggested, it's probably not going to affect (or
probably be worth mentioning on) your tax return.

> Then, we get our shit together here. Move on with the restructuring.
> And,
> with the new structure, I think it'll be easier to get something like
> the
> NFP rolling (um, and then approved).

Yeah.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,