[Theforum] meo

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Sat May 18 20:27:05 CDT 2002

Daniel J. Cody said:

>> c) how much bandwidth is meo using?
>
> http://members.evolt.org/stats/apr2002stats.html
> 4.3Gb for april(change the 3 lettter month string in that URL for past
> months)
>
> hth, lemme know if you have any other questions for me...
>
> Dan

Thanks Dan,

I don't think 4.3 GB a month is that big a deal - not, anyway when our
current usage is up about 100 GB per month. The biggest cost associated with
keeping meo going will of course be the purchase of the new box for it, if
we decide to go ahead with that.

While I can see Matt's point about people not wanting to keep dipping into
their pockets to keep evolt going, I think he has missed one important thing
- the cost of buying a new meo server is a fixed cost, one off. We never
have to ask people to buy a new box again (it may need upgrades somewhere
down the line, but that's a different story), whereas the costs of keeping
evolt running are an ongoing cost (so you really are asking people to keep
dipping in, there but it's spread out over time).

Maybe we should do a quick survey of meo members.. find out how much they'd
be willing to contribute for a new meo box, and ask about whether they'd be
prepared to pay a donation per month (with a disclaimer about how we'll
never force people to pay for the service). This could cover a good deal of
the revenue needed for a new pipe, I believe.

Does anyone else want to help take a look around and see what prices they
can find on a machine that could run as a meo server, bearing in mind what
we Dan's just sent us? If we can find one for a decent price that would
probably make meo members more willing to donate towards a box and make a
small monthly donation too (in fact, you could say that the donation for the
meo box would be the monthly contrib till Jan).

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org