[Theforum] meo

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun May 19 05:25:37 CDT 2002

On Sunday, May 19, 2002, at 02:27  am, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> While I can see Matt's point about people not wanting to keep dipping
> into
> their pockets to keep evolt going, I think he has missed one important
> thing
> - the cost of buying a new meo server is a fixed cost, one off. We never
> have to ask people to buy a new box again (it may need upgrades
> somewhere
> down the line, but that's a different story), whereas the costs of
> keeping
> evolt running are an ongoing cost (so you really are asking people to
> keep
> dipping in, there but it's spread out over time).

Yeah, that's capital -v- revenue.

Of course, to fund capital expenditure, you use depreciation, which is
a revenue expense.

(or, to put it in English, once you've bought a box, you then start
saving
for its replacement so when the time comes, you just replace it without
having to blow that month's budget)

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,